Also on this weekend digest: the new crypto index by China, crypto exchanges still make a ton of money, and new problems in Venezuela.
- China published its new monthly cryptocurrency index with new coins included. The new coins are Nuls and Tezos. The top 3 is held by EOS, ETH and KMD.
- Asian crypto traders and investors still have a significant influence on the market. Despite the ban of any crypto activity in China and some problems with ICOs in South Korea, Asian traders generate 72% of global crypto trading volume, and 75% of all transactions with altcoins. At the same time, US trading volume is only 12.7% of the global volume.
- Analysts of Sanford C. Bernstein predict that the revenue from crypto trading fees of exchanges will exceed $4 billion this year. That's twice more that the result of 2017 — $1.8 billion. Half of these fees will be received by Coinbase, which still doesn't have any serious competitor in US.
- NANO network witnessed a stress test. During the test it achieved the speed of 756 transactions per second. Also NANO currency was added to Bitcoinsuperstore, a gift cards shop, which sells gifts shopping cards accepted by more than 200,000 retailers.
- Martin Marsich, a Serbian and Italian hacker, was allowed to post a bail in cryptocurrency. A federal Judge Corley set the bail at $750,000. Martin hacked the network of Electronic Arts game developer, stealing accounts of 25,000 customers. Now he can face up to 5 years in jail and a fine of $250,000, if found guilty.
- A congressman from Republicans Warren Davidson invited 32 leading crypto companies and persons to a forum on Capitol Hill in September. Among the invited are Ripple, Nasdaq, CME Group, Circle, CoinList, Kraken and many others. All of them are going to discuss the regulation of ICOs.
- Nicolas Maduro announced that new Venezuelan bolivar will be pegged to Petro. 1 Petro will be equal to 60 dollars, to 360,000 old bolivars or to 3,600 new bolivars, so the redenomination ratio will be 1:1000. The government promised to set up kiosks across the country to make the exchange process easier. However, the new rate devalues the existing currency by 96%, which led to panic. Now all shops in Venezuela are closed, and all shelves are empty.
- According to Changpeng Zhao, 90% of Binance employees prefer to receive salary in BNB tokens. BNB token was one of the least affected by the general market conditions lately.
- Everipedia, the competitor of Wikipedia is launched. Currently it has more than 6 million articles, and absolutely no censorship. It's backed by one of Wikipedia founders, Larry Sanger. The organization uses EOS to host their project.