Justin Sun announces new dApps, ‘Black Swan’ is sold using Lightning Network, GMO quits its job, Korean court acquits Bithumb, BoA patents blockchain, Brazilian supermarkets accept BTC, Huobi joins Bitmain in laying off staff, Binance includes XRP as a base pair, Bitcoin Lightning Network capacity surpasses $2M
- Justin Sun announces new developments and decentralized apps. There are going to be more than 80 new decentralized applications (dApps) and that the network currently has more than 50 dApps.
- Crypto artist sold his art piece ‘Black Swan’ for one millisatoshi ($0.000000037) using Lightning Network. Cryptograffiti, an anonymous artist, wanted to create a piece of art that could be considered as the world’s least expensive artwork and also this promoted the use of LN as a way to make transfers in BTC almost instantaneously and with practically no fees.
- Japanese internet giant GMO stops manufacturing and selling mining machines. The company will, however, continue to mine in-house but will relocate its mining center to a region with cleaner and less expensive energy.
- Korean court acquits crypto exchange Bithumb. Bithumb has won a lawsuit in which an investor had sued the company for his loss of around $355,000 in an alleged hack.
- The Bank of America patents blockchain. BoA registers a patent ‘Banking systems controlled by data bearing records’ for a device interconnected with blockchain technology and designed to enhance cash handling by equipping it with ‘dynamic and adaptable operating functions’.
- Brazilian supermarket chain accepts payment in Bitcoin. A Rio de Janeiro supermarket chain, Oásis Supermercados, is now accepting payment in Bitcoin Core, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin through crypto payments processor Coinwise.
- Huobi joins Bitmain in laying off staff. Two crypto giants were recently reported to lay off some of their staff amid the price drops that the market has faced in 2018. The layoffs of both companies will be very big as Bitmain has over 2,500 people full time and Huobi had over 1,000.
- Binance includes XRP a new base currency for trading pairs. On December 24, the exchange heralded the roll out of pairs TRX (TRON)/XRP and XZC (ZCoin)/XRP. As a base, XRP can be traded with other Binance supported cryptocurrencies.
- Bitcoin Lightning Network capacity surpasses $2M. As of December 23, node channels that support the Lighting scaling protocol were able to facilitate 496.8 BTC, almost reaching a landmark point of 500 BTC, which is worth around $2 million.