Sudden congestion of Ethereum and EOS reaches a record number of transactions, new tokens on Coinbase (probably), no one wants to use xRapid by Ripple, and the new supernode in the Lightning Network — all in this weekend digest
- Coinbase announced a possible addition of five tokens and cryptocurrencies to its trading platform. These currencies are 0x, Zcash, Stellar Lumens, BAT and Cardano. The final decision wasn't made. However, despite the expectations of XRP holders, their favorite cryptocurrency is not on the list.
- Joseph Lubin, co-founder of Ethereum, said that now the network is working better than ever and it's switching to phase two. By phase two he meant Plasma and sharding, which are now in development. Sharding will be implemented in 2019, but Plasma is nearly completed and can be launched by the end of this year.
- Block.one, EOS developer, is being accused of Ethereum sudden congestion. It happened at the same time when EOS reached a volume of 500,000 transactions per day. However, it's all just a speculation, based on coincidence, with no solid facts. Dan Larimer, CTO of Block.one, denied any interest in bringing Ethereum down.
- The recent floods in Sichuan didn't cause any significant damage to big Bitcoin mining farms. Jiang Zhuoer, the owner of BTC.TOP, a large pool, said that heavy rains is a usual thing for this season, and all mining farms are prepared for that. Only 200-300 ASICs were destroyed, according to his estimate, and that didn't affect Bitcoin hashrate.
- Andreas Brekken, the owner of shitcoin.com, created a new node in Lightning Network that currently has as many funds as all other nodes combined. It has 35.24 BTC, that amounts to 49% of the whole network. Andreas revealed the plans to make a review of the LN that's why he created the node. However, it raises concerns over centralization of the network.
- At the recent AMA Ripple announced the shift of its focus. Now instead of targeting big companies like Western Union, it aims at small startups and payment providers in an attempt to sell them xRapid platform. The official launch of xRapid is going to happen this year.
- According to a survey by Old Mutual, a financial services provider, 38% of South Africans, who participated, wished that they had bought some earlier. Another survey shows that 50% of those who don't have it have plans to buy it in 2018. However, 43% still regard crypto as a Ponzi scheme.
- The court of Chile settled the lawsuit between Banco Estado and a local crypto exchange Orionx in favor of the latter. Now the bank must reopen the previously closed exchange's account, as its actions were classified as the violation of the constitution and the deprivation of the right of equality before the law. There are still five more lawsuits against various Chilean banks filed by Orionx that remain unsettled.
- A new NEO-related developer competition started on July 14. More than 160 teams will try to create an interesting game on NEO blockchain. The rules are simple: all game data must be stored on the blockchain, all game assets can use the blockchain and be managed via smart contracts. This event will last one month, the winners will be chosen on 15th August.